Finally! A Good Song With a Jew's Harp!  

Posted by Mike Todd

Okay, so I haven't been looking far and wide for a song with a Jew's harp, but what a find Ben Sollee was! He's so fresh that I can't even find a source with a pronunciation of his last name! I am just so happy; I think the four exclamation points so far illustrate that.

I've read that some people have compared him to the venerable Andrew Bird, but I don't hear it. Perhaps it's the subject matter, being something other than dark matter or over-my-head scientific gunk. Perhaps it's his straightforward writing style, without any wandering and with a fuller sound. Perhaps in my mind I simply cannot fit anyone else in Andrew's nest, outfitted with only the best synaptic connections.Yet, you could see some connection there, if you're on drugs, listening to these lines from "How to See the Sun Rise":

"Teach me baby. Oh, I promise I'll get it this time, how to hold a bird in my hand and watch it grow. See those feathers bloom? But don't let it fly. Even though that's what it's supposed to do." Dude! He totally owns him!

I find myself drifting just like Andy himself. Anyway, have a listen. It'll do your spirit good.

PS: He does look a little like Jude Law with glasses. Not another man crush!

Ben Sollee--How to See the Sun Rise
Ben Sollee--A Change is Gonna Come

This entry was posted on 1.7.08 at 1:41 AM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment